Subscribe to newsletter
Games and Exercises
Here you find examples of games and exercises that can be used as interactive ways to bring climate risk messages across. We will keep this page updated regularly.
Games on Early Warning Early Action
- Games for a New Climate: Experiencing the Complexity of Future Risks . In collaboration with the Pardee Center at Boston University.
- Paying for Predictions Game, presented at COP18 in Doha.
- Before the Storm: a card game (pdf, 2 MB) and its explanation (pdf, 13 kB), to improve understanding of 'early warning early action'. See a short film of this game being played in Senegal, St. Louis, 2010.
- Weather or Not , a roulette game for groups and its explanation. (Open with Internet Explorer: Even if no internet is available this link will work) Both games are designed with Parsons The New School for Design's PETLab . At this specially designed website for the RCRC you can find additional game information.
- Choices in a Changing Climate, Session played at the CDKN Action Lab (held at Oxford University, April 4th 2011), facilitated by Pablo Suarez .This 2-minute film was produced by One-World TV. Here you can watch the longer version (19 minutes).
- Humans vs. Mosquitoes, A game to educate people on climate change, and used during a side event at COP-17 in Durban, co-designed by four Yale MA students (Sophia Colantonio, Lauren Graham, Kanchan Shrestha, and Vanessa Lamers) and five Parsons MFA students (Mohini Dutta, Clay Ewing, Eulani Labay, Ben Norskov, Lien Tran). Go here for more information on the game: background information and game instructions.
Working paper series: Can games help people manage the climate risks they face?
Games with an underlying serious purpose can speed up learning, dialogue and action on climate risks, engaging people's minds and emotions, in sharp contrast to unidirectional learning through traditional lectures and PowerPoint presentations. Full paper.
A snapshot of games prepared by National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Goose Escalera (pdf, 3 MB), board game designed by the Colombian Red Cross
- Explanation manual (pdf, 7 MB)games (Colombia Red Cross) in Spanish
- Explanation of the Goose Game in English (pdf, 163 kB)
- Game of Goose (pdf, 520 kB), designed by the IFRC in the Middle East Nothern African zone (Arabic)
- Online game prepared by the Syrian Red Crescent (Arabic)
Films related to game facilitation
- Upstream/Downstream, A Wapponi Production (in English , and in Spanish the short version, long version) which gives a short overview of the game the Climate Centre co-designed with Partners for Resilience colleagues and which showcases the utility of games for promoting learning and dialogue on Partners for Resilience themes.
- Gender & Climate Game, Introductory film and supporting training of trainers video funded and produced by PopTech . This film highlights how the game can help elicit, through experiential learning, some insights about the role of gender and climate among vulnerable rural communities. The instruction game was facilitated by Janot Mendler-Suarez with Kenya RC volunteers and Matuu farmers. Please go here to read more background information on this game.